Dr. Patrick Linke
Program Chair and Professor, Holder of the Qatar Shell Professorship and Executive Director of Graduate Studies
Office Number: 219F
Office Phone: +974.4423.0251
Dr. Patrick Linke is a Professor of Chemical Engineering and the Chair of the Chemical Engineering Program at Texas A&M University at Qatar. He also serves as the Executive Director of the Office of Graduate Studies. He is a co-founder and director of the Qatar Sustainable Water and Energy Utilization Initiative (QWE), a center of excellence for research and capacity building at Texas A&M University in Education City. Dr. Linke is a process systems engineer and his activities focus on the design of efficient processes, integrated systems and associated infrastructures. Dr. Linke is a process systems engineer and his activities focus on the design of efficient processes, integrated systems and associated infrastructures. Dr. Linke regularly serves on numerous national and international committees. He served as Chief Engineer for the Qatar National Food Security Programme (QNFSP) in the Office of the Heir Apparent from 2009-2014.
Dr. Linke's areas of interest include:
- Process integration and design
- Process systems engineering and optimization
- Decision-making and complex problem-solving
- Efficient utilization of natural resources (energy, water and raw materials)
- Sustainable process design and operation
- Computer-aided technologies for chemical process design and optimization
He currently leads research into innovating desalination process designs with a focus on membrane-based systems, the optimal use of renewable forms of energy in desalination, desalination infrastructure planning, the efficient use of energy in industrial zones, the synthesis of novel materials for power generation from alternative energy sources, and the development of tools to minimize environmental impacts from industrial activities.
- Doctor of Philosophy, University of Manchester, 2001
- Master of Science, University of Manchester, 1997
- Diplom-Ingenieur, University of Applied Sciences, Cologne, Germany, 1996
- Professor, Chemical Engineering,Texas A&M University at Qatar, Doha- Qatar, 2011 - Present
- Founder and Director, Qatar Sustainable Water & Energy Utilization Initiative (QWE), Texas A&M University at Qatar, Doha - Qatar, 2009 - Present
- Member of Executive Board and Chief Engineer, Qatar National Food Security Programme (QNFSP), Office of the Heir Apparent, Doha - Qatar, 2008 - Present
- Associate Professor of Chemical Engineering, Texas A&M University at Qatar (TAMUQ), Doha - Qatar, 2007 - 2011
- Senior Lecturer (Associate Professor) in Process Systems Optimization, School of Engineering, University of Surrey, U.K. 2005-2007
- Lecturer (Assistant Professor) in Process Systems Optimization, School of Engineering, University of Surrey, U.K. 2001-2005
- Research Assistant, Centre for Process Integration, University of Manchester, U.K. 1997-2001
- 2012 Faculty Excellence Award, Texas A&M University at Qatar
- 2012 Best Sustainability Initiative, Construction Weekly Qatar Awards
- 2011 Prof. Gianfranco Angelino Award at ORC 2011, The Netherlands 2011
- 2010 Faculty Research Excellence Award, Texas A&M University at Qatar
- 2010 ExxonMobil Teaching Excellence Award, Texas A&M University at Qatar
- 2005-2008 Royal Academy of Engineering ExxonMobil Teaching Fellowship
Alnouri, S.Y., Linke, P., El-Halwagi, M.M. (2014). On the optimal design of industrial zone interplant water reuse networks using connectivity merging strategies. AIChE Journal 60(8), 2853-2874.
Gabriel, K.J., Noureldin, M.M.B., El-Halwagi, M.M., Linke, P., Jimenez-Gutierrez, A., Martinez, D.Y., (2014). Gas-to-Liquid (GTL) Technology: Targets for Process Design and Water-Energy Nexus. Current Opinion in Chemical Engineering 5, 49-54.
Bishnu, S., Linke, P., Alnouri, S.Y., El-Halwagi, M.M. (2014). Multi-period Planning of Optimal Industrial City Direct Water Reuse Networks. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research 53(21), 8844-8865.
Alnouri, S.Y., Linke, P. (2014). Optimal Seawater Reverse Osmosis Network Design Considering Product Water Boron Specifications. Desalination 345, 112-127 .
Stijepovic, M.Z., Papadopoulos A.I., P. Linke, Grujic, A.S., Seferlis, P. (2014). An Exergy Composite Curves Approach for the Design of Optimum Multi-Pressure Organic Rankine Cycle Processes. Energy 69, 285-298.
Gabriel, K.J., Linke, P., Jimenez-Gutierrez, A., Martinez, D.Y., Noureldin, M.M.B., El-Halwagi, M.M. (2014). Targeting of the Water-Energy Nexus in Gas-to-Liquid Processes: A Comparison of Syngas Technologies. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research 53 (17), 7087–7102.
Alnouri, S.Y., Linke, P., El-Halwagi, M.M. (2014). Water Integration in Industrial Zones - A Spatial Representation with Direct Recycle Applications. Clean Technologies and Environmental Policy. DOI 10.1007/s10098-014-0739-2.
Martinez, D.Y., Jimenez-Gutierrez, A., Linke, P., Gabriel, K.J., Noureldin, M.M.B., El-Halwagi, M.M. (2014). Water and Energy Issues in Gas-to-Liquid Processes: Assessment and Integration of Different Gas-Reforming Alternatives. ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering (2)2, 216-225.
Papadopoulos, A.I., M.Z. Stijepovic, P. Linke, P. Seferlis, S. Voutetakis (2013). Toward Optimum Working Fluid Mixtures for Organic Rankine Cycles using Molecular Design and Sensitivity Analysis. Industrial Engineering Chemistry Research 52 (34), 12116-12133.
Alnouri, S.Y., P. Linke (2013). Optimal SWRO Desalination Network Synthesis Using Multiple Water Quality Parameters. Journal of Membrane Science 444, 493-512.
Stijepovic, V.Z., P. Linke, M.Z. Stijepovic, M. L. Kijevčanin, S. Šerbanović (2012). Targeting and Design of Industrial Zone Waste Heat Reuse for Combined Heat and Power Generation. Energy 47(1), 302-313.
Alnouri, S.Y., P. Linke (2012). A Systematic Approach to Optimal Membrane Network Synthesis for Seawater Desalination. Journal of Membrane Science 417-418, 96-112.
Stijepovic, M., P. Linke, S. Alnouri, M.L. Kijevcanin, A.S. Grujic, V. Stijepovic (2012). Toward Enhanced Hydrogen Production in a Catalytic Naphtha Reforming Process. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 37(16), 11772-11784.
Stijepovic, M.Z., P. Linke, A.I. Papadopoulos, A.S. Grujic (2012). On the Role of Working Fluid Properties in Organic Rankine Cycle Performance. Applied Thermal Engineering 36, 406-413.
Atilhan, S., Bin Mahfouz, A., Batchelor, B., P. Linke, A. Abdel-Wahab, F. Nápoles-Rivera, A. Jiménez-Gutiérrez, M.M. El-Halwagi (2012). A Systems-Integration Approach to the Optimal Design and Operation of Macroscopic Water Desalination and Distribution Networks: A General Framework Applied to Qatar’s Water Resources. Clean Technologies & Environmental Policy 14(2), 161-171.
Stijepovic, M.Z., P. Linke (2011). Optimal Waste Heat Recovery and Reuse in Industrial Zones. Energy 36(7), 4019-4031.
Kokossis, A.C., P. Linke, S. Yang (2011). The Cascade Optimisation Algorithm – A new distributed stochastic optimisation approach for engineering applications. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research 50(9), 5266-5278.
Bin Mahfouz, A., S. Atilhan, B. Batchelor, P. Linke, A. Abdel-Wahab, M.M. El-Halwagi (2011). Optimal Scheduling of Biocide Dosing for Seawater-Cooled Power and Desalination Plants. Clean Technologies & Environmental Policy 13(6), 783-796.
Montolio-Rodriguez, D., P. Linke, D. Linke, M.Z. Stijepovic, (2010). Optimal conceptual design of processes with heterogeneous catalytic reactors. Chemical Engineering Journal 163(3), 438-449.
Stijepovic, M.Z., Linke, P, Kijevcanin, M. (2010). Optimization Approach for Continuous Catalytic Regenerative Reformer Processes. Energy & Fuels 24(3), pp 1908–1916.
Papadopoulos, A.I., Stijepovic, M.Z., Linke P. (2010). On the Systematic Design and Selection of Optimal Working Fluids for Organic Rankine Cycles. Applied Thermal Engineering 30(6-7), 760 – 769.