Dr. Haitham Abu-Rub
Program Chair/Professor/Managing Director of Smart Grid Center Qatar
Office Number: 246E
Office Phone: +974.4423.0110
Haitham Abu-Rub's research contributions, as well as his on-going efforts/investigations in the area of AC drives and power electronics, can be classified into the following topics:
- Control of electric machines; eg. vector control, nonlinear control, adaptive control, model predictive control
- Power electronic converters, two-level and multilevel, matrix converter, ZSI
- Artificial Intelligence in machines and power electronics control, eg. fuzzy logic, neural networks
- Renewable energy conversion for PV and wind systems, maximum power point tracking
- Condition monitoring and fault detection in electrical machines and drives
- Doctor of Philosophy, Political Science, Gdansk University, 2004
- Doctor of Philosophy, Electrical Engineering, Gdansk University of Technology, Poland, 1995
- Master of Science, Electrical Engineering, Gdynia Maritime University, Poland, 1990
- Professor, Texas A&M University at Qatar, 2012 to present
- Associate professor, Texas A&M University at Qatar, 2006 to 2011.
- Research Fellowship - Alexander von Humboldt Fellowship, University of Wuppertal, Germany, 2005/2006.
- Head of Electrical Engineering Department, Birzeit University, Palestinian Autonomy, from September 2000 to August 2004.
- Associate Professor at Birzeit University from September 2001 until August 2006.
- Assistant Professor at Birzeit University from September 1997 until August 2001.
- Scientific-Didactic Adjunct (Assistant Professor) at the Technical University of Gdansk, Poland September 1996 until August 1997.
- Representative and Engineer, Enamor, Gdynia Marine University, Poland, 2006.
- Teaching assistant at Gdynia Maritime Academy in Poland from 1991 to 1995.
- Researcher at different universities (USA, Germany, UK).
- Best Paper Award, International Conference on Industrial Technology (IEEE - ICIT2013)
- Faculty Research Excellence Award, Texas A&M University at Qatar, 2012.
- Arab Fund Fellowship Program, Kuwait, (http://www.arabfund.org/arindex.htm), for the academic year 2006/2007, not used
- Alexander von Humboldt Fellowship, 12 months scholarship at University of Wuppertal, Germany, 2005/2006
- International Education's Scholar Rescue Fund ('Fund'), USA, 2004 (http://www.iie.org/SRF/home)
- Outstanding contribution, International Conference - Power Electronics /Intelligent Motion /Power quality (PCIM), Nuremberg, Germany, 2002
- Outstanding contribution, International Conference - Power Electronics /Intelligent Motion /Power quality (PCIM), Nuremberg, Germany, 2001
- Received 'Best Presentation Award' at the 27th Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society in Denver (IECON'01), USA, 2001
- Fulbright scholarship, Texas A&M University, USA, 2001
- British Royal Society's Scholarship, University of Southampton (UK) for two months, 2000
- German DAAD scholarship, Ruhr Bochum University (Germany), for two months, 1999
International Editorial Board of Chemical Industry, Belgrade, Yugoslavia (1995 -).
Fellow, American Institute of Chemical Engineers, 2000.
Halliburton Professor 2003, Texas A&M University, 2003.
International Advisory Board of Chemical Industry & Chemical Engineering Quarterly, Belgrade, Serbia (2005 -).
Joe M. Nesbitt Professorship in Chemical Engineering, August 2006
Vice-Chairman of the Natural Gas Conversion Board (2013-2015)
International Scientific Advisory Board (2013-2015) for the triennial Natural Gas Conversion Symposium
- Jaroslaw Guzinski, Haitham Abu-Rub, “Speed Sensorless Induction Motor Drive with Predictive Current Controller,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 60, No. 2, pp. 699-709, 2013.
- B. Ge, H. Abu-Rub, F. Peng, Q. Lei, de Almeida A., Ferreira F., D. Sun, Y. Liu, "An energy stored quasi-Z-source inverter for application to photovoltaic power system," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electronics, vol.60, no.10, pp.4468-4481, Oct. 2013.
- Abu-Rub, H., Iqbal, A., SK, Moin. A., Peng, F., Li, Y., Ge, Baoming, “Quasi Z-Source Inverter based Grid Interactive Photovoltaic generation system with Maximum Power Tracking Control Using ANFIS, IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, VOL. 4, NO. 1, Jan. 2013, pp. 11-20.
- Jose Rodriguez, Marian P. Kazmierkowski, Jose R. Espinoza, Pericle Zanchetta, Haitham Abu-Rub, Hector A. Young, and Christian A. Rojas, “State of the Art of Finite Control Set Model Predictive Control in Power Electronics,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, Vol. 9, Iss 2, 2013, Pp. 1003-1016.
- Abu-Rub, H., Iqbal, A., Guzinski, J, T.: High Performance Control of AC Drives with Matalab/Simulink Models, Wiley &Sons Ltd, 2012, ISBN: 978-0-470-97829-0.
- Shaikh Moinoddin, Atif Iqbal, M. Rizwan Khan, SK Moin Ahmed, and Haitham Abu-Rub, “Three-Phase to Seven-Phase Power Converting Transformer,” IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol 27, No 3, pp. 757-766, 2012.
- M. Rivera, J. Rodriguez, J. Espinoza, H. Abu-Rub, “Instantaneous Reactive Power Minimization and Current Control for an Indirect Matrix Converter under a Distorted AC-Supply,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, Vol 8, No 3, 2012, pp. 482-490.
- Iqbal, A., SK, Moin. A., Abu-Rub, H., “Space Vector PWM Technique for a Three-to-Five Phase Matrix Converter”, IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 48, No. 2, March/April 2012
- Lewicki, A., Krzeminski, Z., and Abu-Rub, H., Pulse Width Modulation for Three-Level NPC Converter with the Neutral Point Voltage Control, accepted to the IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 2011.
- Ahmed, SK M., Iqbal, A., Abu-Rub, H., Rodriguez, J., and Rojas, C., "Simple carrier-based PWM technique for a three to nine phase matrix converter", IEEE Trans. On Industrial Electronics,10-1617-TIE (accepted), 2011.
- Guzinski, J, Abu-Rub, H., Diguet, M., Krzeminski, Z., and Lewicki, A. "Speed and Load Torque Observers Application in High Speed Train Electric Drive", IEEE Transaction on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 57, No. 2, February 2010, pp. 565-574.
- Abu-Rub, H., Holtz, J., Rodriguez, J., and Baoming, G., "Medium Voltage Multilevel Converters - State of the Art, Challenges and Requirements in Industrial Applications", IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 57, No. 8, August 2010, pp. 2581 - 2596.
- Abu-Rub, H., Iqbal, A., Amin, S., Abdelkader, G., Salem, N., Mansoor, S., Mirza T, Ahmed, S. "Feasibility Analysis of Solar Photo-voltaic Array Cladding On Commercial Towers in Doha, Qatar-A Case Study" Int. Journal of Sustainable Energy, Taylor & Francis vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 76-86, June 2010