Dr. Haitham Abu-Rub
Professor/Managing Director, Smart Grid Center Qatar/IEEE Fellow
Office Number: 246E
Office Phone: +974.4423.0110
Dr. Haitham Abu-Rub joined the Electrical Engineering program at Texas A&M at Qatar 2006. He is currently a professor and managing director of the Smart Grid Center – Extension in Qatar.
He received two Ph.D.s, one Doctor of Philosophy in Electrical Engineering from Gdansk University of Technology in Poland in 1995 a second Doctor of Philosophy in Political Science from Gdansk University in 2004. In addition, he received his Master of Science, Electrical Engineering from Gdynia Maritime University in Poland in 1990.
His research areas include Power Electronics, Electric Drives, Renewable Energy and Smart Grid.
Power electronics, renewable energy, Smart Grid, Electric Drives
Smart grid research lab with top facilities
Currently supervising/supervising 11 at Texas A&M University and two at other institution
- Doctor of Philosophy, Political Science, Gdansk University, 2004
- Doctor of Philosophy, Electrical Engineering, Gdansk University of Technology, Poland, 1995
- Master of Science, Electrical Engineering, Gdynia Maritime University, Poland, 1990
7/2014-8/2019 Chair of Electrical and Computer Engineering program, Texas A&M University at Qatar
1/2014-present Managing Director of the Smart Grid Center – Extension in Qatar (SGC-Q)
7/2012-present Professor, Texas A&M University at Qatar,
5/2011-5/2015 ABET coordinator, ECEN department, Texas A&M University at Qatar
2006-2012 Associate professor, Texas A&M University at Qatar
2005/2006 Alexander von Humboldt Fellowship (12-month Research Fellowship), University of Wuppertal, Germany
9/2000-8/2004 Head of Electrical Engineering Department, Birzeit University, Palestine
9/2001-8/2006 Associate Professor, Birzeit University
9/1997-8/2001 Assistant Professor, Birzeit University
2001 Visiting professor, Texas A&M University, USA (Fulbright scholarship)
9/1996-8/1997 Assistant Professor at the Technical University of Gdansk, Poland
1996 Representative and Engineer, Enamor, Gdynia Marine University, Poland,
1991 - 1995 Assistant at Gdynia Maritime Academy in Poland
Innovations, six submitted through QF and one patented in Poland
- Smart Grid Dynamic Control and Management with Big Data Process Platform, LPI: H.Abu-Rub, QNRF, NPRP10-0101-170082, three years (2018-2021).
- On Line Continuous Monitoring, Detection, and Location of Partial Discharge and Dynamic Aging in Medium and High Voltage Electrical Insulation, PI: H. Abu-Rub, QNRF, NPRP10-0101-170085,three years (2018-2021).
- Highly Efficient Inductive Power Transfer System for Electric Vehicles, Primary Research Mentor: H. Abu-Rub, UREP20-101-2-029, one year (2017-2018).
- Microgrids Advanced Dynamic Control Architecture and Distributed Energy Optimization, PI: H. Abu-Rub, NPRP9-310-2-134, three years (2017-2020)
- Integration of Solar Generation and Electrical Vehicles into The Smart Grid, PI: H. Abu-Rub, NPRP 8-241-2-095, three years (2016-2019).
- MW PV Power RD&D Using SiC-based qZS Cascade Multilevel Inverter and Battery Energy Storage, LPI: H. Abu-Rub, NPRP X, five years (2013-2019)
- Abu-Rub, A. Iqbal, J. Guzinski: High Performance Control of AC Drives with Matlab/Simulink Models, John Wiley & Sons Ltd., ISBN: 978-0-470-97829-0, 2012 (500 pages).
- Abu-Rub, M. Malinowski, K. Al-Haddad: Power Electronics for Renewable Energy Systems, Transportation and Industrial Applications, John Wiley & Sons Ltd., ISBN 978-1-118-63403-5, 2014 (856 pages).
- Guzinski, H. Abu-Rub, P. Strankowski: Variable Speed AC Drives with Inverter Output Filters, John Wiley & Sons Ltd., ISBN: 978-1-118-78289-7, 2015 (366 pages).
- Liu, H. Abu-Rub, B. Ge, F. Blaabjerg, O. Ellabban, P. C. Loh: Impedance Source Power Electronic Converters, John Wiley & Sons Ltd., ISBN-13: 978-1119037071, October 2016 (424 pages).
SELECTED JOURNAL PAPERS
- Y Liu, B Ge, Abu-Rub, F Blaabjerg, Single-Phase Z-Source\/Quasi-Z-Source Inverters and Converters: An Overview of Double-Line-Frequency Power-Decoupling Methods and Perspectives, IEEE Industrial Electronics Magazine, 2018, 12 (2), 6-23.
- P Kakosimos, Abu-Rub, Predictive Control of a Grid-Tied Cascaded Full-Bridge NPC Inverter for Reducing High-Freque§ncy Common-Mode Voltage Components, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, 2018, 14 (6), 2385-2394.
- P Kakosimos, Abu-Rub, Predictive speed control with short prediction horizon for permanent magnet synchronous motor drives, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 2018, 33 (3), 2740-2750.
- Malinowski, J. I. Leon and H. Abu-Rub, "Solar Photovoltaic and Thermal Energy Systems: Current Technology and Future Trends," in Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 105, no. 11, pp. 2132-2146, Nov. 2017. doi: 10.1109/JPROC.2017.2690343
- Bayhan, M. Trabelsi, H. Abu-Rub, M. Malinowski, "Finite Control Set Model Predictive Control for a Quasi-Z-Source Four-Leg Inverter under Unbalanced Load Condition," in IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol.64, no.4, pp.2560-2569, April 2017.
- Mosa, R. Balog, H. Abu-Rub, “High Performance Predictive Control of Quasi Impedance Source Inverter,” IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol.32, no.4, pp. 3251-3262, April 2017.