Dr. Joseph Boutros
Professor and Occidental Petroleum Professorship in STEM Leadership
Office Number: 246F
Office Phone: +974.4423.0257
His fields of research are codes on graphs, lattice sphere packings, iterative decoding, joint source-channel coding, compressive sensing, space-time coding, physical-layer security, and physical-layer network coding.
His research is mainly performed under grants and tight collaboration with private companies and public institutions such as Mitsubishi Electric Europe, Ooredoo, and the Qatar National Research Fund.
Dr Boutros is a senior member of the IEEE society. He is active in technical and organization committees of numerous IEEE events, such as the International Symposium on Information Theory (ISIT), the Information Theory Workshop (ITW), the International Symposium on Turbo Codes and related topics, etc. Doctor Boutros is co-inventor of 13 industrial patents including algorithms and techniques in channel coding and digital communications.
Ph.D., French National School of Telecommunications, ENST, Paris-1996
Electrical Engineering Diploma, ENST, Paris-1992
Joseph Jean Boutros received the M.S. degree in electrical engineering in 1992 and the Ph.D. degree in 1996, both from Ecole Nationale Superieure des Telecommunications (ENST, Telecom ParisTech), Paris, France. From 1996 to 2006, he was with the Communications and Electronics Department at ENST as an Associate Professor. Also, Dr Boutros was a member of the research unit UMR-5141 of the French National Scientific Research Center (CNRS) in Paris. In July 2007, Doctor Boutros joined Texas A&M University at Qatar (TAMUQ) as a full Professor in the electrical engineering program.
- Itochu Professorship of Engineering, Texas A&M University at Qatar, 2013.
- Faculty Research Excellence Award, Texas A&M University at Qatar, 2013.
- Texas A&M University at Qatar’s nominee for the Texas A&M University-Level Distinguished Achievement Award in Teaching, January 2013.
- Research Team Excellence Award, Texas A&M University at Qatar, 2012.
- Research Fellow Excellence Award (Research team member: Dr. Dong Suk Han), Texas A&M University at Qatar, 2012.
- Outstanding Chemical Engineering Instructor Award, Texas A&M University at Qatar, 2012.
- Sustainable Innovation of the Year Award, Construction Week Qatar, 2012.
- Faculty Excellence Award. Texas A&M University at Qatar, 2010.
- Students Led Distinguished Teaching (SLATE) Award, Texas A&M University, 2009.
- TAMUQ recognition award for contribution in ABET accreditation process, Texas A&M University at Qatar, 2009.
- Association of Former Students College-Level Distinguished Teaching Award, Texas A&M University, 2008.
- AIChE Student Poster award, Second Place, 2011 Annual AIChE meeting (Student: Karim Ibrik, Supervisor: Ahmed Abdel-Wahab), 2011.
- Best undergraduate Research Project, Second Place, Undergraduate Research Experience Program (UREP), Qatar National Research
- Fund (QNRF), (Student: Hazem AbdelMoati, Supervisor: Ahmed Abdel-Wahab), March 2009.
- Richard Ewing Undergraduate Research Award, Texas A&M University at Qatar (students: Hazem AbdelMoati and Karim Farhat), 2009.
- The AIChE Chapter Appreciation Award, TAMUQ, 2008.
LDA lattices without dithering achieve capacity on the Gaussian channel, by N. di Pietro, G. Zémor, and J.J. Boutros. Submitted to the IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, March 2016. (77 pages).
Edge coloring and stopping sets analysis in product codes with MDS components, by F. Jardel, and J.J. Boutros. Submitted to the IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Dec. 2015. (82 pages).
Lattices over Eisenstein Integers for Compute-and-Forward, by N.E. Tunali, Y.-C. Huang, J.J. Boutros, and K.R. Narayanan. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. 61, no. 10, pp. 5306-5321, Oct. 2015.
Spectral thinning in GLD lattices, by J.J. Boutros, N. di Pietro, and Y.-C. Huang. Information Theory and Applications Workshop (ITA'2015), organized by UCSD, La Jolla, California, pp. 1-9, Feb. 2015.
Generalized low-density (GLD) lattices, by J.J. Boutros, N. di Pietro, and N. Basha. IEEE Information Theory Workshop, ITW'2014, Hobart, Australia, pp. 15-19, Nov. 2014.
Non-uniform spatial coupling, by F. Jardel and J.J. Boutros. IEEE Information Theory Workshop, ITW'2014, Hobart, Australia, pp. 446-450, Nov. 2014.
Precoding for Outage Probability Minimization on Block Fading Channels, by D. Duyck, J.J. Boutros, and M. Moeneclaey. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. 59, no. 12, pp. 8250-8266, December 2013