Dr. Joseph Ura
Interim Program Chair and Professor
Office Number: 328C
Office Phone: +974.4423.0445
Dr. Joseph Daniel Ura is Professor of Political Science at Texas A&M University and Texas A&M University at Qatar. He earned his Ph.D. in Political Science from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and he completed his undergraduate education in political science at George Washington University in Washington, DC.
Dr. Ura is a scholar of American politics. His research addresses judicial politics, public opinion, and political representation. He and his coauthors have contributed articles to the American Journal of Political Science, the Journal of Politics, Political Research Quarterly, and other leading peer-reviewed journals in political science. Dr. Ura is also an award-winning teacher. He has won the Student Led Award for Teaching Excellence from Texas A&M University and the Earle Wallace Award for Teaching Excellence from the Political Science Department at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Dr. Ura previously served as Associate Head, Director of Undergraduate Programs, and Director of the American Politics Program in the Department of Political Science at Texas A&M. In 2017 and 2018, Dr. Ura was a Southeastern Conference Academic Leadership Development Fellow, and in 2016 and 2017, he was a Faculty Administrative Fellow in Texas A&M’s College of Liberal Arts.
Areas of Interest
American politics, law and courts, public opinion, representation
- Ph.D. Political Science, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2006
- M.A. Political Science, George Washington University, 2002
- B.A. Political Science, George Washington University, 2001
- Associate Professor, Liberal Arts Program, Texas A&M University at Qatar, July 2019-Present
- Associate Professor, Department of Political Science, Texas A&M University, September 2013-Present
- Assistant Professor, Department of Political Science, Texas A&M University, August 2007-August 2013
- Assistant Professor, Department of Political Science, Louisiana State University, August 2006-June 2007
- Instructor, Department of Political Science, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, August 2004-June 2006
Conway, Nicholas J., Soren Jordan, and Joseph Daniel Ura. 2018. Courts and Issue Attention in Canada. Social Science Quarterly 99(4): 1324-1348.
Acevedo, Delia N., Carlie Fogleman, and Joseph Daniel Ura. 2017. Peasants and Bankers: Education, Consumer Sentiment, and Presidential Approval Presidential Studies Quarterly 47(2): 230-244.
Ura, Joseph Daniel and Carla M. Flink. 2016. Experience Counts: The Chief Justice, Management Tenure, and Strategic Behavior on the U.S. Supreme Court Research and Politics 3(2): DOI: 10.1177/2053168016644464.
Ura, Joseph Daniel and Carla M. Flink. 2016. Managing the Supreme Court: The Chief Justice, Management, and Consensus Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory 26(2): 185-196.
Hall, Matthew E.K. and Joseph Daniel Ura. 2015. Judicial Majoritarianism Journal of Politics 77(3): 818-832.
Ura, Joseph Daniel. 2014. Backlash and Legitimation: Macro Political Responses to Supreme Court Decisions American Journal of Political Science 58(1): 110-126.