Dr. Ibrahim Galal Hassan
Interim Program Chair and Professor
Office Number: 234D
Office Phone: +974.4423.0290
Professor Hassan’s research interests include Heat Transfer, Multiphase Flow, Design of District Cooling Networks, and Urban Building Energy Modeling. His research work involves complex physics, rigorous measurements and modern simulation methods.
- Ph.D., University of Manitoba, Canada, 1995
- PDF, University of British Columbia 1996-1998
- Professor, Texas A&M University at Qatar, 2013-Present
- Professor, Concordia University, Montréal, Canada, 2009 – 2013
- Graduate Program Director, Concordia University, Montréal, Canada, 2005 - 2006
- Associate and Assistant Professor, Concordia University, Montréal, Canada, 2000 – 2009
- Elected ASME Fellow, an honor bestowed on only 3 percent of members the American Society of Mechanical Engineers. The fellowship distinction is conferred by the ASME Committee of Past Presidents to recognize candidates on their outstanding engineering achievements.
- Received National Priorities Research Program Award Grants in 2017-2022.
- Received the prestigious NSERC “National Science and Research Council of Canada” Discovery Accelerator Supplement (DAS) Award in 2010-2013.
- Awarded, a large no. of research projects (2000-2018) of >$5.5M “operating”, e.g., from NSERC, PWC, CRIAQ, MDEIE, CFI (Canada); TEES-Texas A&M University (USA); and QNRF (Qatar).
- Recipient of the honorary teaching excellence awards from Concordia’s Engineering and Computer Science Council.
- A member of the Society of Professional Engineers of Ontario, Canada.
- Athanasios I. Papadopoulos , Alexis Kyriakides , Panos Seferlis, Ibrahim Hassan, Absorption Refrigeration Processes with Organic Working Fluid Mixtures- A Review, submitted to the journal of Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews RSER-D-19-00165, 2019.
- Sambhaji T. Kadam, Ibrahim Hassan, Athanasios I. Papadopoulos, Panos Seferli, “Dynamic Simulation of the Vapor Compression Refrigeration Units of District-Cooling Networks”, abstract accepted (2018), and full paper will be presented at 22ndConference on Process Integration for Energy Saving and Pollution Reduction - PRES'19, 20–23 October, Agios Nikolaos, Crete, Greece, 2019.
- Kyriakides, V. Champilomatis, A. Giannakakis, V. Kousidis, M. Stijepovic, A. Papadopoulos*, I. Hassan, P. Seferlis, “ Systematic Screening of Working Fluid Mixtures based on Absorption Refrigeratiion”, abstract accepted (2018), and full paper will be presented at 22ndConference on Process Integration for Energy Saving and Pollution Reduction - PRES'19, 20–23 October, Agios Nikolaos, Crete, Greece, 2019.
- Gouletsos, A. Papadopoulos, P. Seferlis*, I. Hassan, Systematic Assessment of Model Robustness in Simulation of Absorption Refrigeration. Abstract submitted (2018), and full paper will be presented at 22ndConference on Process Integration for Energy Saving and Pollution Reduction - PRES'19, 20–23 October, Agios Nikolaos, Crete, Greece, 2019.
- Sayeed Rushd, Haneen Saeed Hasan, Vassilios Kelessidis, Ibrahim Hassan, Anwarul Hasan, Mohammad Azizur Rahman, Terminal settling velocity of a single sphere in drilling fluid, Particulate Science and Technology Journal, DOI: 10.1080/02726351.2018.1472162, 2018.
- Ahmad Eltaweel and Ibrahim Hassan, “Experimental Study of a Single Microchannel Flow under Non-uniform Heat Flux”, Accepted at the ASME Journal of ThermalScience and Engineering Applications. Published on ASME online in 2018, : doi:10.1115/1.4042153
- Sajid, M., Hassan, Rahman, M. A., “An Overview of Cooling of Thermoelectric Devices, Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews, 78, 15–22, 2017.
- Elnady, T., Hassan, I., Kadem, L., Experimental Investigation of Louver Cooling Scheme on Gas Turbine Stator, Heat Transfer Engineering, 37 (1), 2016, pp. 82-105
- El Ayoubi, W. S. Ghaly, and I. G. Hassan. "Aerothermal Optimization and Experimental Verification for Discrete Turbine Airfoil Film Cooling", Journal of Propulsion and Power, Vol. 31, No. 2 (2015), pp. 543-558.
- Younes, A.M., and Hassan, I., "Modeling of Dry-Out Incipience for Flow Boiling in a Circular Micro-Channel at a Uniform Heat Flux", ASME Journal of Heat Transfer, 137(2), 2015, 021502 (12 pages).
- Ming Li, H. and Hassan, I., "The Effects of Counter-Rotating Vortex Pair Intensity on Film-Cooling Effectiveness", Journal Heat Transfer Engineering, 36(16), 2015, pp. 1360-1370.
- Smadi O, Garcia J, Pibarot P, Gaillard E, Hassan I, Kadem L., "Accuracy of Doppler- Echocardiographic Parameters for the Detection of Aortic Bileaflet Mechanical Prosthetic Valve Dysfunction", European Heart Journal - Cardiovascular Imaging, Vol. 15 (2): pp. 142-151, 2014.
- Hassan, and I. Hassan, "Experimental investigations of the film cooling effectiveness of a Micro-Tangential-Jet Scheme on a Gas Turbine Vane", Int. J. of Heat and Mass Transfer, 61 (2013) 158-171.
- Fan, Y.F., and Hassan, I., "Experimental Investigation of Flow Boiling Instability in a Single Horizontal Microtube with and without Inlet Restriction", ASME. Journal of Heat Transfer, v 134, n 8, p 081501 (11 pp.), 2012. (SCI)
- K.J., and Hassan, I., "Experimental and Numerical Evaluation of a Scaled-Up Micromixer with Groove Enhanced Division Elements", ASME. Journal of Fluids Engineering (FE-12-1051), In Press, 2012. (SCI)
- Rahman, M.H., Kim, S.I., and Hassan, I, "Effects of Inlet Temperature Uniformity and Nonuniformity on the Tip Leakage Flow and Rotor Blade Tip and Casing Heat Transfer Characteristics", ASME. Journal of Turbomachinery, v 134, n 2, p 021001 (10 pp.), 2012.
- Bowden, R.C., and Hassan, I., "The Onset of Gas Entrainment from a Flowing Stratified Gas-Liquid Regime in Dual Discharging Branches: Part I: Flow Visualization and Related Phenomena", International Journal of Multiphase Flow, v 37, n 10, p 1358-1370, 2011.