Dr. Mansour Karkoub
Office Number: 234E
Office Phone: +974.4423.0165
Dr. Mansour Karkoub’s teaching and research interests include: Robust Control, Robotics, Autonomous Vehicles, Mechatronics, and Vibration Engineering.
- HDR, University of Versailles, France.
- Ph.D., University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, USA.
- M.S., University of Minnesota, Minneapolis,USA.
- B.S., University of Minnesota, Minneapolis,USA.
Professor, Texas A&M University at Qatar, 2009-Present.
Professor and Assistant to the Provost on Accreditation matters, The Petroleum Institute, UAE 2007-2009.
Professor and Program Chair, Mechanical Engineering Program, The Petroleum Institute, UAE, 2005-2007.
Director of graduate studies, Mechanical Engineering Department, Kuwait University, 2004-2005.
Visiting Professor, INRIA, France, 2002-2003.
Professor, Mechanical Engineering Program, Kuwait University, 2003-2005.
Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering Program, Kuwait University, 1989-2003.
Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering Program, Kuwait University, 1994-1989.
Director of the Artificial Intelligence Center, Kuwait University, 1996-1999
- Fellow, The American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Fellow, The Institute of Engineering Technology
- Fellow, The Institute of Mechanical Engineers
- Senior Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers
- Distinguished Achievement Award College Level, Texas A&M University, August, 2012.
- Faculty Appreciation Award, graduating class of 2012, Texas A&M University at Qatar, June 2012.
- ASME-Petroleum Institute best teacher award, June, 2008.
- Best teacher award, College of Engineering, Kuwait University, 2001.
- Best Junior Research Award, Kuwait University, 1999.
- Recipient of a four-year undergraduate scholarship from the USAID & MHE, Tunisia, 1984-1988.
- Recipient of the ISWOP graduate fellowship, UMN, Minneapolis, MN, USA, 1992-1994.
- Recipient of a five-year graduate scholarship from the USAID & MHE, Tunisia, 1988-1994.
- Recipient of the TRUTH Company award for outstanding undergraduate mechanism design, 1987.
- Member, Tau Beta PI
- M. Karkoub, C-C. Weng, , T-S. Wu, W-S. Yu, and M-G. Her, “ Tracking Adaptive Fuzzy Integral Sliding Mode Control for a Train of Self-Balancing Vehicles,” Accepted, International Journal of Dynamics and Control, 2018.
- H. M. Wu, M. Karkoub and C. L. Hwang, “Hierarchical Variable Structure Control for the Path Following and Formation Maintenance of Multi-Agent Systems,” Accepted, Journal of Robotic and Intelligent Systems, 2018.
- M. Karkoub, H-M. Wu, and C-L. Hwang, “Hierarchical Robust Nonlinear Control for Trajectory-Tracking of Autonomous Underwater Vehicles Subject to Uncertainties Variable,” Ocean Engineering, vol. 145, pp. 188-198, 2017.
- T-S. Wu, M. Karkoub, “Robust Tracking Control of MIMO Under-Actuated Nonlinear Systems with Dead-Zone Band and Delayed Uncertainty Using an Adaptive Fuzzy Control,” IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 905-918, 2017.
D. A. Trevino G., S.M. Dutta, and F. H. Ghorbel, M. Karkoub, 2016, "A Dipole Model of 3-D Magnetic Flux Leakage," Accepted, IEEE Transactions on Magnetics.
T-S. Wu, M. Karkoub, 2016, "Robust Tracking Control of MIMO Underactuated Nonlinear Systems with Dead-Zone Band and Delayed Uncertainty Using an Adaptive Fuzzy Control," Accepted, Information Science.
Gharib M. and Karkoub M., 2016, "Experimental investigation of linear particle chain impact dampers in free vibration suppression," Accepted, ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering.
H. M. Wu, M. Karkoub and C. L. Hwang, 2015, "Mixed Fuzzy Sliding-Mode Tracking with Backstepping Formation Control for Multi-Nonholonomic Mobile Robots Subject to Uncertainties," Journal of Intelligent & Robotic Systems, 79(1), pp. 73-86, 2015.
T-S. Wu, M. Karkoub, Chien-Chih Weng, and Wen-Shyong Yu, 2015, "Trajectory Tracking for Uncertainty Time Delayed-State Self-Balancing Train Vehicles Using Observer-Based Adaptive Fuzzy Control," Information Science, 324(10), pp. 1-22, December 2015.
C-C. Hsieh, M. Karkoub, W-R. Lai, P-H. Lin, 2015, "Visual people counting using gender features and LRU updating scheme," Multi-media Tools and Applications, Volume 74(6), pp. 1741-1759, March 2015.
Gharib M. and Karkoub M., 2015, "Shock based experimental investigation of the linear particle chain impact damper," ASME Journal of Vibration and Acoustics, 137(6), pp. 061012-1-061012-10, 2015.
T-S. Wu, Mansour Karkoub, H-S Chen, W-S. Yu, and M-G. Her, 2015, "Robust Tracking Observer-Based Adaptive Fuzzy Control Design for Uncertain Nonlinear MIMO Systems with Time Delayed States," Information Science, Vol. 290, pp. 86-105, 2015.
Tzu-Sung Wu, M. Karkoub, C-T. Chen, W-S. Yu, and M-G. Her, 2014, "Anti-Sway Tracking Control of Tower Cranes With delayed Uncertainty Using a Robust Adaptive Fuzzy Control," Fuzzy Sets and Systems, Online first, January 2015.
T-S. Wu and M. Karkoub, 2014, "H-Infinity Fuzzy Adaptive Tracking Control Design for Nonlinear Systems with Output Delays," Fuzzy Sets and Systems, Vol. 254, pp. 1-25, April 2014
W-S. Yu, M. Karkoub, T-S. Wu, and M-G. Her, 2014, "Delayed Output Feedback Control for Nonlinear Systems with Two-Layer Interval Fuzzy Observers," IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems, Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 611-630, June, 2014.
J-H. Han and Y-J. Kim and M. Karkoub, 2014, "Wave propagation modeling of fluid-filled pipes using hybrid analytical/two-dimensional finite element method," Wave Motion, Accepted, 2014.
M. Karkoub, M-G. Her, C-C., Hwang, 2012 “Design of wireless remote monitoring and object tracking robot,” Journal of Robotics and Autonomous Systems, Vol. 60, No. 2, , Pages 133–142.