Dr. Sami El Borgi
Office Number: 234S
Office Phone: +974.4423.0674
Dr. Sami El-Borgi’s teaching and research interests include Fracture and Contact Mechanics, Structural Health Monitoring through Ambient Vibration Testing, Nonlinear Vibration.
- Ph.D., Cornell University, 1992
- M. S., Northwestern University, 1987
- B.S., Ohio State University, 1985
- Professor, Mechanical Engineering Program, Texas A&M University at Qatar (07/2013 - Present).
- Visiting Professor, Mechanical Engineering Program, Texas A&M University at Qatar (09/2012 - 06/2013).
- Professor (11/2004-Present), Associate Professor (11/1999-11/2004), Assistant Professor (1994-11/1999), Department of Mechanics, Tunisia Polytechnic School, University of Carthage, La Marsa, Tunisia.
- Chairman and co-founder of the Applied Mechanics and Systems Research Laboratory, Tunisia Polytechnic School, University of Carthage, La Marsa, Tunisia, http://www.icamem2010.org/lasmapsite/An/index.asp (05/2009-07/2012).
- Founder and Chairman of the Computational Mechanics Master's Program, Tunisia Polytechnic School, La Marsa, Tunisia. Master's Program developed in collaboration with the Department of Engineering Science and Mechanics of Virginia Tech and with funding from the U.S. State Department http://www.esm.vt.edu/~anayfeh/cmgp-tps/default.html (09/2002-07/2012).
- Founder and Chairman of the Applied Mechanics Doctoral Program, Tunisia Polytechnic School, University of Carthage, La Marsa, Tunisia (09/2004-07/2012).
- Chairman of the Mechanics Department, Tunisia Polytechnic School, University of Carthage, La Marsa, Tunisia (09/2002-09/2007 and 09/1994-08/1999).
- Consulting Engineer, Structural Affiliates International, Inc., Nashville,Tennessee, USA (03/1993-03/1994).
- Post-Doctorate Research Associate, School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, USA (08/1992-02/1993).
- Graduate Research Assistant and Teaching Assistant, School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, School of Mechanical Engineering, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, USA (01/1987-08/1992).
- Presidential Order of Merit of Education, Republic of Tunisia, 2008;
- Tau Beta Pi: American National Engineering Honor Society, 1984 to present;
- Chi Epsilon: American National Civil Engineering Honor Society, 1984 to present.
Peer-reviewed papers published recently in international journals
- El-Borgi, S., Rajendran, P., Trabelssi, M., "Application of combined nonlocal and surface elasticity theories to vibration response of a graded nanobeam", Accepted for publication in 2019 as a book chapter in Ghavanloo, E., Fazelzadeh, A. and Marotti de Sciarra, F. (Editors), Size‐dependent continuum mechanics approaches: Theory & Applications, Springer.
- Fernandes, R., J.G. Boyd, Lagoudas, D.C. and El-Borgi, S., "Two-dimensional finite element analysis of frictional sliding between a rigid cylinder and a shape memory alloy half-space", Mechanics of Materials, 143, 103306, 2020.
- Vignoli, L., Savi, M. and El-Borgi, S., "Nonlinear Dynamics of Earthquake-Resistant Structures Using Shape Memory Alloy Composites", Published in Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, DOI: 10.1177/1045389X19898269, 2020.
- Çömez, I., Guler, M.A. and El-Borgi, S., "Continuous and Discontinuous Contact Problems of a Homogeneous Piezoelectric Layer Pressed by a Conducting Rigid Flat Punch", Acta Mechanica, 231, 957-976, 2020.
- Ho, S.C.M., El-Borgi, S., Patil, D. and Song, G., "Inspection and Monitoring Systems Subsea Pipelines: A Review Paper", Published in Structural Health Monitoring, DOI: 10.1177/1475921719837718, 2019.
- Jamia, N., Friswell, M.I., El-Borgi, S. and Rajendran, P., "Modelling and Experimental Validation of Active and Passive Eddy Current Sensors for Blade Tip Timing", Sensors and Actuators: A Physical, 285, 98-110, 2019.
- Trabelssi, M., El-Borgi, S., Fernandes, R. and Ke, L.-L., "Nonlocal Free and Forced Vibration of a Graded Timoshenko Nanobeam resting on a Nonlinear Elastic Foundation", Composites Part B: Engineering, 157, 331-349, 2019.
- Rajendran, P., Jamia, N., El-Borgi, S. and Friswell, M.I., "Wavelet Transform based Damage Identification in Bladed Disks and Rotating Blades", Journal of Shock and Vibration, Vol. 2018, Article ID 3027980, 16 pages, 2018.
- Çömez, I. and El-Borgi, S., "Contact Problem of a Graded Layer supported by two Rigid Punches", Archives of Applied Mechanics, 88(10), 1893-1903, 2018.
- Ouakad, M.H., El-Borgi, S., Mousavi S.M. and Friswell, M.I., "Static and Dynamic Response of CNT Nanobeam using Nonlocal Strain and Velocity Gradient Theory", Applied Mathematical Modelling, 62, 207-222, 2018.
- Yilmaz, K.B., Çömez, I., Yildirim, B., Guler, M.A. and El-Borgi, S., "Frictional Receding Contact Problem for a Graded Bilayer System Indented by a Rigid Punch ", International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, 141, 127-142, 2018.
- Su, J., Ke, L.-L., El-Borgi, S., Xiang, Y. and Wang, Y.-S., "An effective method for the sliding frictional contact of a conducting cylindrical punch on FGPMs", International Journal of Solids and Structures, 141-142, 127-136, 2018.
- Casalotti, A., El-Borgi, S. and LaCarbonara, W., "Metamaterial Beam with Embedded Nonlinear Vibration Absorbers", International Journal of Nonlinear Mechanics, 98, 32-42, 2018.
- El-Borgi, S., Rajendran, P., Friswell, M.I, Trabelssi, M. and Reddy, J.N., "Torsional Vibration of Size-dependent Viscoelastic Rods using Nonlocal Strain and Velocity Gradient Theory", Composite Structures, 185, 274-292, 2018.
- Jamia, N., Rajendran, P., El-Borgi, S. and Friswell, M.I., "Mistuning Identification in Bladed Disk using Wavelet Packet Transform", Acta Mechanica, 29, 1275-1295, 2018.
- Jamia, N., Friswell, M.I., El-Borgi, S. and Fernandes, R., "Simulating eddy current sensor outputs for blade tip timing", Advances in Mechanical Engineering, 10(1), 1-12, 2018.
- Sankar, A., El-Borgi, S., Ganapathi, M. and Ramajeyathilagam, K., "Parametric instability of thick doubly curved CNT reinforced composite sandwich panels under in-plane periodic loads using higher-order shear deformation theory", Journal of Vibration and Control, 24(10), 1927-1950, 2018.
- El-Borgi, S. and Çömez, I., "A Receding Frictional Contact Problem between a Graded Layer and a Homogeneous Substrate Pressed by a Rigid Punch", Mechanics of Materials, 114, 201-214, 2017.
- Trabelssi, M., El-Borgi, S., Ke, L.-L. and Reddy, J.N., "Nonlocal Free Vibration of Graded Nanobeams Resting on a Nonlinear Elastic Foundation using DQM and LaDQM", Composite Structures, 176, 736-747, 2017.
- Fernandes, R., El-Borgi, S., Mousavi, S.M., Reddy, J.N. and Mechmoum, A., "Nonlinear Size-dependent Longitudinal Vibration of Carbon Nanotubes Embedded in an Elastic Medium", Physica E: Low-dimensional Systems and Nanostructures, 88, 18-25, 2017.
- Fernandes, R., El-Borgi, S., Ahmed, K., Friswell, M.I. and Jamia, N., "Static Fracture and Modal Analysis Simulation of a Gas Turbine Compressor Blade and Bladed Disk System", Springer Journal Advanced Modeling and Simulation in Engineering Sciences, 3 (1), p. 30, 2016.
- Eltaher, M., El-Borgi, S., and Reddy, J.N., "Nonlinear Analysis of Size-dependent and Material-Dependent Nonlocal CNTs", Composite Structures, 153, 902-9013, 2016.
- Sankar, A., El-Borgi, S., Ben Zineb, T. and Ganapathi, M., "Dynamic snap-through buckling of CNT reinforced composite sandwich spherical caps", Composites Part B: Engineering, 9, 472-482, 2016.
- Jamia, N., El-Borgi, S., Fernandes, R. and Vegamoor, V., "An Arbitrarily Oriented Mixed-Mode Crack in a Functionally Graded Medium using a Non-Local Approach", Theoretical and Applied Fracture Mechanics, 85, 387-397, 2016.
- Çömez, I., El-Borgi, S., Kahya, V. and Erdöl, R., "Receding contact problem for two-layer functionally graded media indented by a rigid punch", Acta Mechanica, 227, 2493-2504, 2016.
- Fernandes, R., Mousavi, S.M. and El-Borgi, S., "Free and forced vibration nonlinear analysis of a microbeam using ﬁnite strain and velocity gradients theory", Acta Mechanica, 227, 2657-2670, 2016.
- Alinia, Y., Beheshti, A., Guler, M.A., El-Borgi, S. and Polycarpou, A.A., "Sliding Contact Analysis of Functionally Graded Coating/Substrate System", Mechanics of Materials (MoM), 94, 142-155, 2016.
- Alian, A.R., El-Borgi, S. and Meguid, S.A., "Multiscale modeling of the effect of waviness and agglomeration of CNTs on the elastic properties of nanocomposites". Computational Materials Science, 117, 195-204, 2016.
- Temimi, H., Ben Romdhane, M., El-Borgi, S. and Cha, Y.-J., "Time-Delay Effects on Controlled Seismically Excited Linear and Nonlinear Structures". International Journal of Structural Stability and Dynamics, 16, 1550031-1, 1550031-22, 2016.
- Jamia, N., El-Borgi, S. and Usman, S., "Non-Local Behavior of Two Collinear Mixed-mode Limited-Permeable Cracks in a Functionally Graded Piezoelectric Medium". Applied Mathematical Modeling, 40, 5988-6005, 2016.
- Ma, J., El-Borgi, S., Ke, L.-L. and Wang, Y.-S., "Frictional contact problem between a functionally graded magneto-electro-elastic layer and a rigid conducting flat punch with frictional heat generation". Journal of Thermal Stresses, 39(3), 245-277 2016.
- El-Borgi, S., Fernandes, R. and Reddy, J.N., "Nonlocal Free and Forced Vibrations of Graded Nanobeams Resting on a Nonlinear Elastic Foundation". International Journal of Nonlinear Mechanics, 77, 348-363, 2015.
- Najar, F., El-Borgi, S., Reddy, J.N. and Mrabet, K., "Nonlinear Nonlocal Analysis of Electrostatic Nanoactuators". Composite Structures 120, 117-128, 2015.
- Reddy, J.N., El-Borgi, S. and Romanoff, J., "Nonlinear Analysis of Functionally Graded Microbeams using Eringen's Nonlocal Differential Model". International Journal of Nonlinear Mechanics, 67, 308-3018, 2014.
- El-Borgi, S., Usman, S. and Guler, M.A., "A frictional receding contact plane problem between a functionally graded layer and a homogeneous substrate". International Journal of Solids and Structures, 51, 4462-4476, 2014.
- Jamaia, N., El-Borgi, S., Rekik, M. and Usman, S., "Investigation of the behavior of a mixed-mode crack in a Functionally Graded Magneto-Electro-Elastic material by use of the Non-local Theory". Theoretical and Applied Fracture Mechanics, 74, 126-142, 2014.
- El-Borgi, S., Guest Editor of a Special volume Journal of Shock and Vibration, 2010 International Conference on Advances in Mechanical Engineering and Mechanics, Hindawi Publishing Company, ISSN: 1070-9622, 2014.
- Reddy, J.N. and El-Borgi, S., "Eringen’s nonlocal theories of beams accounting for moderate rotations". International Journal of Engineering Science, 82, 159-177, 2014.