Dr. Sami El Borgi
Office Number: 234S
Office Phone: +974.4423.0673
Dr. Sami El-Borgi’s teaching and research interests include Fracture and Contact Mechanics, Structural Health Monitoring through Ambient Vibration Testing, Nonlinear Vibration.
- Ph.D., Cornell University, 1992
- M. S., Northwestern University, 1987
- B.S., Ohio State University, 1985
- Professor, Mechanical Engineering Program, Texas A&M University at Qatar (07/2013 - Present).
- Visiting Professor, Mechanical Engineering Program, Texas A&M University at Qatar (09/2012 - 06/2013).
- Professor (11/2004-Present), Associate Professor (11/1999-11/2004), Assistant Professor (1994-11/1999), Department of Mechanics, Tunisia Polytechnic School, University of Carthage, La Marsa, Tunisia.
- Chairman and co-founder of the Applied Mechanics and Systems Research Laboratory, Tunisia Polytechnic School, University of Carthage, La Marsa, Tunisia, http://www.icamem2010.org/lasmapsite/An/index.asp (05/2009-07/2012).
- Founder and Chairman of the Computational Mechanics Master's Program, Tunisia Polytechnic School, La Marsa, Tunisia. Master's Program developed in collaboration with the Department of Engineering Science and Mechanics of Virginia Tech and with funding from the U.S. State Department http://www.esm.vt.edu/~anayfeh/cmgp-tps/default.html (09/2002-07/2012).
- Founder and Chairman of the Applied Mechanics Doctoral Program, Tunisia Polytechnic School, University of Carthage, La Marsa, Tunisia (09/2004-07/2012).
- Chairman of the Mechanics Department, Tunisia Polytechnic School, University of Carthage, La Marsa, Tunisia (09/2002-09/2007 and 09/1994-08/1999).
- Consulting Engineer, Structural Affiliates International, Inc., Nashville,Tennessee, USA (03/1993-03/1994).
- Post-Doctorate Research Associate, School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, USA (08/1992-02/1993).
- Graduate Research Assistant and Teaching Assistant, School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, School of Mechanical Engineering, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, USA (01/1987-08/1992).
- Presidential Order of Merit of Education, Republic of Tunisia, 2008;
- Tau Beta Pi: American National Engineering Honor Society, 1984 to present;
- Chi Epsilon: American National Civil Engineering Honor Society, 1984 to present.
- Fernandes, R., El-Borgi, S., Mousavi, S.M., Reddy, J.N. and Mechmoum, A., "Nonlinear Size-dependent Longitudinal Vibration of Carbon Nanotubes Embedded in an Elastic Medium", Physica E: Low-dimensional Systems and Nanostructures, 88, 18-25, 2017.
- Fernandes, R., El-Borgi, S., Ahmed, K., Friswell, M.I. and Jamia, N., "Static Fracture and Modal Analysis Simulation of a Gas Turbine Compressor Blade and Bladed Disk System", Accepted for publication in Springer Journal Advanced Modeling and Simulation in Engineering Sciences, 3 :30, DOI10.1186/s40323-016-0083-7, 2016.
- Sankar, A., El-Borgi, S., Ganapathi, M. and Ramajeyathilagam, K., "Parametric instability of thick doubly curved CNT reinforced composite sandwich panels under in-plane periodic loads using higher-order shear deformation theory", Accepted for publication in the Journal of Vibration and Control, 2016.
- Eltaher, M., El-Borgi, S., and Reddy, J.N., "Nonlinear Analysis of Size-dependent and Material-Dependent Nonlocal CNTs", Composite Structures, 153, 902-9013, 2016.
- Sankar, A., El-Borgi, S., Ben Zineb, T. and Ganapathi, M., "Dynamic snap-through buckling of CNT reinforced composite sandwich spherical caps", Composites Part B: Engineering, 9, 472-482, 2016.
- Jamia, N., El-Borgi, S., Fernandes, R. and Vegamoor, V., "An Arbitrarily Oriented Mixed-Mode Crack in a Functionally Graded Medium using a Non-Local Approach", Theoretical and Applied Fracture Mechanics, 85, 387-397, 2016.
- Çömez, I., El-Borgi, S., Kahya, V. and Erdöl, R., "Receding contact problem for two-layer functionally graded media indented by a rigid punch", Acta Mechanica, 227, 2493-2504, 2016.
- Fernandes, R., Mousavi, S.M. and El-Borgi, S., "Free and forced vibration nonlinear analysis of a microbeam using ﬁnite strain and velocity gradients theory", Acta Mechanica, 227, 2657-2670, 2016.
- Alinia, Y., Beheshti, A., Guler, M.A., El-Borgi, S. and Polycarpou, A.A., "Sliding Contact Analysis of Functionally Graded Coating/Substrate System", Mechanics of Materials (MoM), 94, 142-155, 2016.
- Alian, A.R., El-Borgi, S. and Meguid, S.A., "Multiscale modeling of the effect of waviness and agglomeration of CNTs on the elastic properties of nanocomposites". Computational Materials Science, 117, 195-204, 2016.
- Temimi, H., Ben Romdhane, M., El-Borgi, S. and Cha, Y.-J., "Time-Delay Effects on Controlled Seismically Excited Linear and Nonlinear Structures". International Journal of Structural Stability and Dynamics, 16, 1550031-1, 1550031-22, 2016.
- Jamia, N., El-Borgi, S. and Usman, S., "Non-Local Behavior of Two Collinear Mixed-mode Limited-Permeable Cracks in a Functionally Graded Piezoelectric Medium". Applied Mathematical Modeling, 40, 5988-6005, 2016.
- Elloumi, R., El-Borgi, S., M., Guler, M.A. and Kallel-Kamoun, I., "The contact problem of a rigid stamp with friction on a functionally graded magneto-electro-elastic half-plane", Acta Mechanica, 227, 1123-1156, 2016.
- Ma, J., El-Borgi, S., Ke, L.-L. and Wang, Y.-S., "Frictional contact problem between a functionally graded magneto-electro-elastic layer and a rigid conducting flat punch with frictional heat generation". Journal of Thermal Stresses, 39(3), 245-277 2016.
- El-Borgi, S., Fernandes, R. and Reddy, J.N., "Nonlocal Free and Forced Vibrations of Graded Nanobeams Resting on a Nonlinear Elastic Foundation". International Journal of Nonlinear Mechanics, 77, 348-363, 2015.
- Najar, F., El-Borgi, S., Reddy, J.N. and Mrabet, K., "Nonlinear Nonlocal Analysis of Electrostatic Nanoactuators". Composite Structures 120, 117-128, 2015.
- Reddy, J.N., El-Borgi, S. and Romanoff, J., "Nonlinear Analysis of Functionally Graded Microbeams using Eringen's Nonlocal Differential Model". International Journal of Nonlinear Mechanics, 67, 308-3018, 2014.
- El-Borgi, S., Usman, S. and Guler, M.A., "A frictional receding contact plane problem between a functionally graded layer and a homogeneous substrate". International Journal of Solids and Structures, 51, 4462-4476, 2014.
- Jamaia, N., El-Borgi, S., Rekik, M. and Usman, S., "Investigation of the behavior of a mixed-mode crack in a Functionally Graded Magneto-Electro-Elastic material by use of the Non-local Theory". Theoretical and Applied Fracture Mechanics, 74, 126-142, 2014.
- Reddy, J.N. and El-Borgi, S., "Eringen's nonlocal theories of beams accounting for moderate rotations". International Journal of Engineering Science, 82, 159-177, 2014.
- Elloumi, R., Kallel-Kamoun, I, El-Borgi, S., M. and Guler, M.A., "On the frictional sliding contact problem between a rigid circular conducting punch and a magneto-electro-elastic half-plane". International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, 87, 1-17, 2014.
- Rekik, M., El-Borgi, S. and Ounaies, Z., "An Axisymmetric Problem of an Embedded Mixed-mode Crack in a Functionally Graded Magnetoelectroelastic Infinite Medium". Journal of Applied Mathematical Modelling, 38, 1193-1210, 2014.
- Rekik, M., El-Borgi, S. and Ounaies, Z., "Singularities of the Thermo Magneto Electro Elastic Fields". Encyclopedia of Thermal Stresses, Richard Hetnarski (Editor), ISBN 978-94-007-2738-0, Springer, 2014.
- Ben-Romdhane, M., El-Borgi, S. and Charfeddine, M., "An Embedded Crack in a Functionally Graded Orthotropic Coating Bonded to a Homogeneous Substrate under a Frictional Hertzian Contact". International Journal of Solids and Structures, 50, 3898-3910 2013.
- Elloumi, R., Guler, M.A., Kallel-Kamoun I and El-Borgi, S., "Closed-form solutions of the frictional sliding contact problem for a Magneto-electro-elastic half-plane indented by a rigid conducting punch". International Journal of Solids and Structures, 50, 3778-3792, 2013.
- El-Ouafi Bahlous, S., Neifar, M., El-Borgi, S. and Smaoui, H., "Ambient Vibration Based Damage Diagnosis using Statistical Modal Filtering and Genetic Algorithm: A Bridge Case Study", Journal of Shock and Vibration, 20(1), 181-188, 2013.