Dr. Albertus Retnanto
Professor of the Practice
Office Number: 204K
Office Phone: +974.4423.0281
Dr. Retnanto joined the Petroleum Engineering Program at Texas A&M University at Qatar in 2009. Dr. Retnanto teaches courses in well testing, petroleum production system, production engineering, petroleum technical presentation, natural gas engineering, and integrated asset development. He held a Principal position with Schlumberger and has more than 18 years of experience worldwide in both technical and management positions in the area of well testing, field development, and production enhancement. He has received the Performed by Schlumberger Bronze Award four times. He has served as the Review Chairman of SPE Drilling & Completion Journal and chair on several committees on SPE. He received the A Peer Apart SPE Award, which is dedicated to the technical excellence of authors to the industry. He received the AFS College-level Distinguished Achievement Award in Teaching in 2016, SGA Educator Award, SEC Best Faculty Award, and the Faculty of the Year Award in five times, and the Distinguished Teaching Award. He is a PETE undergraduate advisor, PETE ABET/SAC coordinator, Pi Epsilon Tau Honor Society advisor, and SPE TAMUQ Student Chapter advisor. He also serves as ABET Program Evaluator.
- Field Development and Planning
- Production Enhancement and Optimization
- Well Testing
- Perforation Technology
- Horizontal and Multilateral Well Performance
- Formation Damage and Stimulation
- Well Integrity
- Unconventional Reservoirs
- Doctor of Philosophy, Petroleum Engineering, Texas A&M University, 1998
- Master of Engineering, Petroleum Engineering, Texas A&M University, 1996
- B.Sc. (Graduated Cum Laude), Petroleum Engineering, Institut Teknologi Bandung, 1990
- Professor of the Practice, Texas A&M University at Qatar, 2018 - present
- Associate Professor of the Practice, Texas A&M University at Qatar, 2015 - 2018
- Visiting Associate Professor, Texas A&M University at Qatar, 2009 - 2015
- Schlumberger Oilfield Services, 1997 - 2015
- Graduate Research Assistant at Texas A&M University, 1993 -1997
- The Association of Former Students College-level Distinguished Achievement Award in Teaching, Fall 2016
- A Peer Apart, SPE, "Dedication to technical excellence to authors, to SPE, and to the industry in volunteering time and expertise to review 100 or more technical papers", 2007
- Member of Society of Petroleum Engineers (lifetime membership)
- Member in Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society
- Member in Pi Epsilon Tau Honor Society
- Marongiu-Porcu and M., Retnanto, A. 2017. After-Closure Idiosyncrasies of Fracture Calibration Test Analysis in Shale Formations. Paper SPE 187321 presented at the 2017 SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition held in San Antonio, Texas, 9-11 October.
- Retnanto, A. and Parsaei, H. 2017. Continuous Improvement: Building and Maintaining Engaged Industry Advisory Board. Paper presented at the 2017 ABET Symposium, Baltimore, Maryland, USA, April 20-21
- Osman, Y., Retnanto, A., Samir, M., and Fraim, M. 2017. Enhancing Pressure Transient Analysis through the Application of Deconvolution Methods, Case Study. Paper SPE 184022 presented at the 2017 SPE Middle East Oil & Gas Show held in Manama, Kingdom of Bahrain, 6-9 March.
- Amani, M., Retnanto, A., AlJuhani, S., Al-Jubouri, M., Shehada, S., and Yrac, R. 2015. Investigating the Role of Ultrasonic Wave Technology as an Asphaltene Flocculation Inhibitor, an Experimental Study. Paper IPTC 18473 presented at the 2015 International Petroleum Technology Conference held in Doha, Qatar 6-9 December.
- Marongiu-Porcu, M., Retnanto, A., Economides, M.J., and Ehlig-Economides, C. 2014. Comprehensive Fracture Calibration Test Design. Paper SPE 168634 presented at the SPE Hydraulic Fracturing Technology Conference held in The Woodlands, Texas, USA, 4-6 February.
- Retnanto, A., Lynn, C., and Orellana, E. 2012. Managing Uncertainty of Reservoir Heterogeneity and Optimizing Acid Placement in Thick Carbonate Reservoirs. Paper SPE 155079 presented at SPE International Production and Operations Conference and Exhibition, Doha, Qatar, 14-16 May.
- Gherryo, M. Shatwan, K. Qiu, R. Marsden, J. Alexander, and A. Retnanto: "A Systematic Approach to Sand Management," World Oil, August 2009.
- Retnanto, A. et.al: "An Integrate Solution On Horizontal Well Clean-up, CT Production Logging and Production Testing," Libya Reservoir Optimization Conference, 2006.
- Retnanto, A. et.al: "PURE - New Perforation Strategy to Improve Completion Performance," Libya Reservoir Optimization Conference, 2006.
- Retnanto, A. et. al.: "Production Optimization using Multiphase Well Testing: A Case Study from East Kalimantan, Indonesia," SPE 71556, USA, 2001.
- Retnanto, A. and Economides, M.J.: "Inflow Performance Relationships of Horizontal and Multibranched Wells in a Solution-Gas-Drive Reservoirs," SPE 49054, USA, 1998.
- Retnanto, A. and Economides, M.J.: "Performance of Multiple Horizontal Well Laterals in Low-to Medium-Permeability Reservoirs," SPERE (May 1996) 73-77.