Dr. Bernhard Lamel
Professor and Chair
Dr. Bernhard Lamel is chair of the Science Program and Professor of Mathematics at TAMUQ. He joined TAMUQ in 2020. He previously was Assistant Dean for Teaching and Director of Studies for the Faculty of Mathematics at the University of Vienna. His research is in the area of Cauchy-Riemann geometry, situated at the intersection of Several Complex Variables, Partial Differential Equations, and Differential Geometry.
Dr. Lamel received his master's degree in mathematics from the University of Vienna, and his Ph.D. in mathematics from the University of California at San Diego. His Ph.D. thesis received one of the Ph.D. prizes of the Austrian Mathematical Society. He has been working in the US, Sweden, and Austria. His research was recognized by the "Förderpreis" of the Austrian Mathematical Society and by the START Award of the Austrian Federal Ministry of Science and Research in 2007 (START awards are given every year to the most promising young Austrian researchers). He is a member of the Young Academy of the Austrian Academy of Sciences, and serves on the board of the Austrian Mathematical Society.
Dr. Lamel has been continuously funded by the Austrian Science Foundation FWF and other agencies, in particular, he has been granted international cooperation projects for research pursued with partners from France, Qatar, Russia, the US, and Taiwan.
Lamel is regularly invited as a principal speaker to international conferences; for example, he has spoken at conferences in Brazil, China, Ethiopia, France, Korea, Italy, Lebanon, the Netherlands, Poland, Russia, Slovenia, and the United States. He has also given several general audience lectures featuring his research, and been active in outreach activities.
- Ph.D. in Mathematics, University of California, 2000
- Master of Mathematics, University of Vienna, 1997
- Bernhard Lamel and Laurent Stolovitch. Convergence of the Chern--Moser--Beloshapka normal forms. J. Reine Angew. Math., 765, 205--247, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1515/crelle-2019-0004
- Florian Bertrand, Giuseppe Della Sala, and Bernhard Lamel. Jet determination of smooth CR automorphisms and generalized stationary discs. Math. Z., 294, 1611--1634, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00209-019-02330-9
- David Kalaj and Bernhard Lamel. Minimisers and Kellogg's theorem. Math. Ann., 377, 1643--1672, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00208-020-01968-9
- Bernhard Lamel and Nordine Mir. Regularity of CR mappings of abstract CR structures. Internat. J. Math., 31, 2050009, 38, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0129167X20500093
- Peter Ebenfelt, Ilya Kossovskiy, and Bernhard Lamel. Regularity of CR-mappings between Fuchsian type hypersurfaces in $\Bbb C^2$. Complex Anal. Synerg., 6, Paper No. 17, 11, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40627-020-00051-y
- Paulo D. Cordaro, Giuseppe Della Sala, and Bernhard Lamel. The Borel map for compact sets in the plane. J. Funct. Anal., 278, 108402, 17, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfa.2019.108402
- Giuseppe Della Sala, Paulo D. Cordaro, and Bernhard Lamel. The Borel map in locally integrable structures. Math. Ann., 377, 1155--1192, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00208-019-01811-w
- Bernhard Lamel and Nordine Mir. Formal versus analytic CR mappings. Ann. Polon. Math., 123, 387--422, 2019. https://doi.org/10.4064/ap180720-16-11
- Bernhard Lamel and Nordine Mir. Convergence and divergence of formal CR mappings. Acta Math., 220, 367--406, 2018. https://doi.org/10.4310/ACTA.2018.v220.n2.a5
- Bernhard Lamel and Nordine Mir. On the smooth regularity of CR mappings of positive codimension. Adv. Math., 335, 696--734, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aim.2018.07.004