Dr. Stylianos Tzortzakis
Office Number: 326C
Office Phone: +974.4423.0641
Dr. Tzortzakis’ expertise lies in the field of intense ultrashort laser pulse interaction with matter and he has a broad experience in the following domains:
- Nonlinear interactions of intense femtosecond laser pulses with matter
- Advanced shaping in space and time of light with applications in materials processing
- Nonlinear laser propagation phenomena - filamentation
- Integrated photonic circuits in the bulk of transparent solids
- Quantum and complexity physics with photonic lattices
- Intense tunable THz sources and THz nonlinear Optics
- Tunable THz metamaterials
- Environmental/atmospheric physics
His research team deals with both fundamental science aspects as well as technological applications. The polyvalent nature of their laser facilities allows studies in cross-disciplinary science including physics, chemistry, materials science and bio-medicine.
Dr. Tzortzakis has a long successful track record in organizing and participating in national and international research funding projects, summing ~$10M in the past 10 years. For more than 20 years, he has participated in European Union research funded projects (Greece, France), National research funded projects (Qatar-NPRP, France, Greece) and bi-national projects (Qatar-Greece, France-Germany, Greece-France), while he has been awarded many “Excellence grants” in Greece and the EU, including a Marie Curie Excellence Grant of 2M€.
He teaches, regularly, classical mechanics, electricity and magnetism, quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, optics, and photonics courses, as well as “Physics for World Leaders” for schools of foreign affairs. He has supervised >40 undergraduate and graduate students (9 Ph.D.). He is a recognized expert in nonlinear laser propagation phenomena and has created the filamentation.org website, a unique information resource for the related scientific community.
Dr. Tzortzakis has been chair/co-chair and member of scientific committees for many international conferences, and is organizing COFIL 2020. He has more than 150 peer-reviewed papers in high impact international journals (>7000 citations, h-index=42) and has given more than 210 presentations and 100 invited/plenary talks at international conferences.
PhD in Nonlinear Optics, Ecole Polytechnique, France, 2001
DEA in Laser-Matter Interactions, Ecole Polytechnique, France, 1998
Bachelor of Science in Physics, University of Crete, Greece, 1997
Professor of Physics, Texas A&M University at Qatar (2018- )
Associate Professor of Physics, Texas A&M University at Qatar (2015-2018)
Associate Professor, University of Crete, Greece (2011- )
Associated Faculty, FORTH, Greece (2011- )
Deputy Director of IESL-FORTH, Greece (2009-2015)
Principal researcher, FORTH, Greece (2006-2010)
CNRS researcher, Ecole Polytechnique, France (2003-2005)
Postdoctoral researcher, Ecole Polytechnique, France (2001-2002)
- “Rozhdestvensky Medal” of the Russian Optical Society for key contributions in strong field Laser and THz science (2013)
- Two Greek Excellence Grants (2012, 2013)
- Marie Curie Excellence Grant (2006)
- Member of the Scientific and Technical Assessor Committee (CACT) of the Salamanca Pulsed Lasers Center CLPU, Spain (2014-present)
- Member of the Physical Sciences board of the Greek National Research and Technology Council (2014-2018)
- Fellowship from the Ecole Polytechnique (France) (2002-2003)
- Fellowship from the CEA (France) (2001-2002)
- Ph.D. obtained with distinctions.
- Fellowship from the French ministry of education (1998-2001)
- Fellowship from the Ecole Polytechnique (France) (1997-1998)
Selected publications include:
- A. D. Koulouklidis, C. Gollner, V. Shumakova, V. Fedorov, A. Pugzlys, A. Baltuska, and S. Tzortzakis
"Observation of extremely efficient terahertz generation from mid-infrared two-color laser filaments"
Nature Communication 11, 292 (2020) [Highlighted in Phys.org]
- A. C. Tasolamprou, A. D. Koulouklidis, C. Daskalaki, C. P. Mavidis, G. Kenanakis, G. Deligeorgis, Z. Viskadourakis, P. Kuzhir, S. Tzortzakis, M. Kafesaki, E. N. Economou, and C. M. Soukoulis
"Experimental Demonstration of Ultrafast THz Modulation in a Graphene-Based Thin Film Absorber through Negative Photoinduced Conductivity"
ACS Photonics 6, 720-727 (2019) [Journal Cover Page]
- D. Koulouklidis, D. G. Papazoglou, V. Y. Fedorov, and S. Tzortzakis
"Phase Memory Preserving Harmonics from Abruptly Autofocusing Beams"
Phys. Rev. Lett. 119, 223901 (2017)
- Dey, K. Jana, V. Y. Fedorov, A. D. Koulouklidis, A. Mondal, M. Shaikh, D. Sarkar, A. D. Lad, S. Tzortzakis, A. Couairon, and G. R. Kumar
"Highly efficient broadband terahertz generation from ultrashort laser filamentation in liquids"
Nature Communications 8, 1184 (2017)
- Chanal, V. Y. Fedorov, M. Chambonneau, R. Clady, S. Tzortzakis, and D. Grojo
"Crossing the threshold of ultrafast laser writing in bulk silicon"
Nature Communications 8, 773 (2017)
- Yu. Fedorov, M. Chanal, D. Grojo and S. Tzortzakis
“Accessing Extreme Spatiotemporal Localization of High-Power Laser Radiation through Transformation Optics and Scalar Wave Equations”
Phys. Rev. Lett. 117, 043902 (2016)
- Manousidaki, D. G. Papazoglou, M. Farsari, and S. Tzortzakis
"Abruptly autofocusing beams for advanced multiscale photo-polymerization"
Optica 3, 525-530 (2016)
- Liu, A. D. Koulouklidis, D. G. Papazoglou, S. Tzortzakis, X.-C. Zhang
"Enhanced terahertz wave emission from air-plasma tailored by abruptly autofocusing laser beams"
Optica 3, 605-608 (2016)
- Panagiotopoulos, D. G. Papazoglou, A. Couairon, and S. Tzortzakis
"Sharply autofocused ring-Airy beams transforming into nonlinear intense light bullets"
Nature Communications 4, 2622 (2013)
- Bellec, P. Panagiotopoulos, D. G. Papazoglou, NK. Efremidis, A. Couairon, S. Tzortzakis
“Observation and optical tailoring of photonic lattice filaments”
Phys. Rev. Lett. 109, 113905 (2012)
- H. Shen, M. Massaouti, M. Gokkavas, J.-M. Manceau, E. Ozbay, M. Kafesaki, T. Koschny, S. Tzortzakis, C. M. Soukoulis
“Optically implemented broadband blue-shift switch in the terahertz regime”
Phys. Rev. Lett. 106, 037403 (2011)
- Abdollahpour, S. Suntsov, D. G. Papazoglou and S. Tzortzakis
“Spatio-temporal Airy light bullets in the linear and nonlinear regimes”
Phys. Rev. Lett. 105, 253901 (2010)