Skip Navigation

Frequently Asked Questions

What constitutes a disability?
A disability is defined in the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 as a mental or physical impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities. Learning is an example of a major life activity. If you have a mental or physical condition, a history of such a condition, or a condition which may be considered by others as substantially limiting, you may have a legally defined disability.

What does substantially limiting mean?
According to Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, substantially limiting is defined as being unable to perform a major life activity, or significantly restricted as to the condition, manner, or duration under which a major life activity can be performed, in comparison to the average person or to most people.

What is a major life activity?
According to Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, a major life activity is defined as caring for oneself, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, and working.

What are academic adjustments?
Appropriate academic adjustments create an equal access to education, as long as it doesn’t require a substantial change in an essential element of the curriculum. This is determined by the institution. Such modifications may include an adjustment in the amount of time allowed to complete a degree, substitution of degree requirements, and adaptation of the manner in which specific courses are conducted.

I suspect I have a learning disability, can Disability Services conduct the assessment to provide a diagnosis?
Colleges are not required to conduct or provide testing. The student is responsible for providing current documentation, and any additional testing, if necessary. However, we do provide referral information.

What should I know when applying to Texas A&M University at Qatar? Are there any special procedures?
Students with disabilities must apply to the University through the regular admissions procedure. There are no special admissions procedures. A student may, however, apply to Educational Testing Services, the leading provider of standardized tests, for provision of accommodations when taking standardized tests such as the SAT. Contact Educational Testing Services for further information.

What should I do if I suspect I have a disability and want to receive accommodations?
If you suspect you have a disability that is impacting your academic performance, you will need to provide documentation of that disability to Disability Services. This documentation must be supplied by a qualified professional who is licensed or certified to diagnose the disability in question. Please check out the rest of this website for additional procedural information. An appointment should be scheduled with the wellness program coordinator and counselor in office 133D to review the documentation and the need for services.